05/05/2022

My Codebreaking Activities

I don't presume to be a codebreaker, but I have done some codebreaking, as reported in "Unsolved Historical Ciphers". Admittedly, most of the ciphers I solved (as opposed to "deciphered" by using already deciphered materials or finding the key) are simple monoalphabetic ciphers. But when I took inventory of my codebreaking activities the other day, I found the following may be somewhat significant.
- Vatican ciphers (1593) with variable length symbols written continuously (see "Identifying Italian ciphers from continuous-figure ciphertexts (1593)" (Cryptologia))
- A Spanish letter to Emperor Charles V (1529) employing symbols with diacritics (see "Codebreaking of a Spanish Cipher with Vowel Indicators")
- Spanish letters from Philip II to ambassador Vargas Mexia in Paris (1578), which, together with three other keys I identified among known ciphers, may allow reading of a whole collection of undecipehred letters (see "Finding the Keys to Philip II's Cipher Letters to Juan de Vargas Mexia
")

No comments:

Post a Comment