16/12/2018

Undeciphered Letter to Emperor Charles V (1529)

An undeciphered letter to Emperor Charles V (24 May 1529) from Suarez de Figueroa, ambassador in Genoa is found in PARES. If someone succeeded in deciphering this, please let me know. (The strikeout on the ciphertext indicates it was deciphered at the time. A deciphered text may be found somewhare in the archives.)

I think the cipher (called the Figueroa-Charles V Cipher (1529) herein for convenience) was modelled after the Doria-Charles V Cipher (1528) (see here). If the subscript numerals consistently correspond to vowels, deciphering may not be so difficult, especially given that some word divisions are discernible.

2 comments:

  1. I made it myself. Now I can read many words: negociacion, inteligencia, republica, remedio, etc.
    I need more days to report the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I uploaded my codebreaking as a new article: "Codebreaking of a Spanish Cipher with Vowel Indicators" and updated the relevant section in "Ciphers during the Reign of Emperor Charles V".
    I hope someone versed in Spanish would complete the deciphered text of my preliminary solution.

    ReplyDelete