31/03/2019

Chinese telegraph code

I updated
"Chinese Telegraph Code (CTC), or A Brief History of Chinese Character Code (CCC)" and
its Japanese version, "電碼――中国の文字コード" by information by Jaemin Chung.

The brief history of Chinese telegraph code described in the Standard Telegraph Codebook is at odds with my descriptions in some details. It seems to be based on limited resources, but I may need to correct my descriptions in future.
For example, it describes 『中国電報新編』 was compiled "by the end of 1880s", while I adopted the year "1881", but it was only based on Japanese Wikipedia.
As another example, it says the title 明密電碼新編 was used from 1929-1937, but I have seen the title in later editions. It further mentions 明密碼電報書 from 商務印書館 in 1941, but I have seen a reference to the title from this publisher as early as 1908. It further mentions 電碼新編 by 交通部電信総局 in 1948, but the version of this title I saw was Taiwanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment