28/02/2021

Louvois' Ciphers in the Archives (1688-1713)

About dozen ciphers from Louis XIV's time gathered from various sources have been listed in "French Ciphers during the Reign of Louis XIV". I added another dozen to the list from BnF fr. 6204, of which I was made aware of by Norbert Biermann's paper (2020). They appear to be Louvois' ciphers (at least some are annotated as such), characterized in that not only syllables and words/names but also letters of the alphabet are mixed in random arrangement.
Now that the list has more than twenty ciphers, I introduced designation of ciphers such as "DE=34/42/97." (The cipher of this example enciphers "de" into 34 or 42 or 97.) This nomenclature will facilitate identifying a new cipher with those already on the list. I have employed similar schemes for American ciphers (e.g., here). (I think I've seen other people use this scheme, but I do not remember specific instances now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment