10/08/2021

Another Cipher Letter from Charles I at the Isle of Wight

Cipher letters of King Charles I, executed by the Parliamentarians in 1649, continue to attract attention. The other day, the King's letters of September to November 1648 to Prince Charles during his captivity in the Isle of Wight were deciphered by Norbert Biermann and Matthew Brown (see "What It Takes to Break Charles I's Cipher Used in the Isle of Wight").
Now, I came across a record of another cipher letter of Charles I from the same period. It is a copy of a cipher letter from Charles I at Newport to the Duke of Ormonde dated 28 October 1648, preserved in Northumberland Archives. I have not seen it and does not even know whether it is deciphered. At least, I added a reference to this in "King Charles I's Ciphers".

No comments:

Post a Comment