18/12/2021

Patents (1928) for Japanese Cipher Machine -- Prototype of RED (or ORANGE)

Prototypes of the Japanese cipher machine, dubbed RED by US codebreakers, were used during the London Naval Conference in 1930. They were based on secret patents no. 79061 and no. 79062, as described in "Development of the First Japanese Cipher Machine: RED". The 79062 patent works electromagnetically, while the 79061 works mechanically. When I wrote the article, they seemed quite different. But now I've come to think they share the same cryptologic principle, which I now described in a new section "Additional Remarks (18 December 2021)". (I should have noticed it from the first, but the description of 79061 is very cursory, and I still cannot figure out its drawings.)

By the way, the label on the apparatus in the photo below reads "91-Shiki Injiki" [Type 91 Printing Machine], which is ORANGE, rather than "91-Shiki Obun Injiki" [Type 91 Alphabetical Printing Machine], which is RED. This is the reason I labelled the photo as "Variant of RED Cipher Machine." From what I read, I understand the main difference between RED and ORANGE is whether to encipher alphabetical letters or Japanese kana characters, but I have to say I do not know them very well, still less their difference from the prototype used in the London Conference or the mechanism described in the patents. 



No comments:

Post a Comment