11/12/2022

Emperor Charles V's Letter (1547) Deciphered after 500 Years

A letter from Charles V to Jean de Saint-Mauris, his ambassador in Paris, preserved in Bibliothéques de Nancy, was broken by Cécile Pierrot, Pierrick Gaudry, Paul Zimmermann, and Camille Desenclos (I learned this from George Lasry and from Cipherbrain). Their presentation on 23 November 2022 received a wide media coverage.
As it turned out, the cipher is the same as what I reconstructed (and posted) some years ago from a letter between the ambassador and Granvelle preserved in Spanish archives and called "Granvelle-Saint Mauris Cipher." But it's understandable that the French researchers were not aware of this because I myself didn't realize they are the same until after I drafted a report of this decipherment, which is now included in a section in my article "Ciphers during the Reign of Emperor Charles V".

 
(The image adapted based on an image downloaded from https://galeries.limedia.fr/ark:/31124/dct0sbwx8vmhspk0/ , updated on 13 January 2022))

No comments:

Post a Comment