10/10/2024

How about a Puzzle in Latin?

The additions reported yesterday include two unsolved ciphers (Bishop of Worcester, Serno Gilino). Both are in letters written in Latin (probably to Cardinal Wolsey) in the 1520s and both employ superscript digits (but they are clearly different ciphers).
For Worcester's cipher, I could identify symbols for single letters and some syllables. But when I apply these to undeciphered letters, I can only see some short fragments (e.g., "hu-n-c me-a-m", "no-n", "o-m-ni?-a") and the few long sequences of known symbols are incoherent to me (e.g., "...ri-s-tu-m-ri-po-r-ta-re-s-pe-re-n-t"). (I can see "riportare" but cannot think of words ending in "ristum" or beginning with "sperent".) For those versed in Latin, filling the blanks may be an interesting puzzle.
The relevant sections are now added in "Unsolved Historical Ciphers". See Ciphers during the Reign of Henry VIII for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment