24/09/2023

A Letter in Napoleonic Small Cipher found in Dresden

A private email drew my attention to a letter (1813) found in Dresden of General Rapp (defending Danzig for Napoleon). It was posted on Klaus Schmeh's facebook and solved instantly by Geoge Lasry, who had "developed a special tool for syllabary ciphers of this kind" (see my previous post). I now mentioned this achievement in "Great Ciphers of Napoleon's Grande Armée".
For this particular case, General Rapp's small cipher is printed in Bazeries' Les chiffres secrets dévoilés (p.275) as mentioned in my article "A Specimen of Napoleon's Small Cipher (1813)". Bazeries' table allows what couldn't be identified by an algorithm:
44(deux) 44(deux) 7(zero) 8 8
46(une) 5 46(une) 7(zero) 8
46(une) 26(trois) 2(neuf) 46(une) 7(zero) i.e., 13910
*7(zero) is not in Bazeries' table, but I think I saw it somewhere. 5 and 8 most probably represent digits.

No comments:

Post a Comment