20/09/2026

Two Diplomatic Ciphers of Marquis de Villars (1669, 1671)


Some letters from Louis XIV to Pierre Villars, Marquis de Villars, are put on auction at Spink (I thank Patrick Hayes for the information). They are interesting in the study of codes and ciphers early in the reign of Louis XIV.

One (1669) seems to use "Colbert-Croissy Cipher (1668-1674) (DE=68) but there still remain many unidentified symbols.

I reconstructed the cipher used in another (1671). As far as I know, it is the only French cipher that had no regularity in arrangement before Louvois' in 1676.

See "Two Diplomatic Ciphers of Marquis de Villars (1669, 1671)".


PS. Patrick Hayes also discovered a letter part of which is in "Cipher with Prince Rupert, Digby, and Ormonde (1644-1645)" ("King Charles I's Ciphers"). The letter is Digby to Prince Rupert, dated 12 July 1644. He provided additional elements:

83=.

87=:

h3=now

Many thanks for the info!

No comments:

Post a Comment